Facial cosmetic surgery
Aesthetic chin surgery / Genioplasty
Cosmetic chin surgery (Genioplasty or mentoplasty) aims to improve the appearance of the chin and therefore the overall symmetry of the profile
A chin can be unattractive when it :
- protrudes too much (clog chin) ;
- is recessed (nonexistent );
- is too large ;
- is too small ;
- is poorly defined.
These chin defects can cause abnormalities in the gums and lower teeth and also with the lips, which can sometimes make it difficult to close the month completely.
Additional corrective procedures may also be suggested to restore the profile and dental bite (profiloplasty) :
- rhinoplasty to remove a bump ;
- jaw surgery (maxillary and mandibular osteotomies) ;
- orthodontic treatment to correct malocclusions.
Principle of surgical genioplasty :
An incision is made in the mouth at the lower gum. Depending on the type of abnormity the surgeon will perform a :
- chin osteotomy (forward or backward) a portion of the bone beneath the tooth root is cut and moved, thenheld in place by means of plates and screws. These metal elements will be removed after 6 months ;
- filing down of the bone
- insertion of a silicone implant.
A chin augmentation can also be achieved by fat injections made through tiny incisions.
The procedure is performed either under general anesthesia during hospitalization for 24 to 48 hours (osteotomy) and lasts about 1 and a half hours or, under assisted local anesthesia (local anesthesia with sedation) as an outpatient (filing down, prosthetic chin) and lasts about 45 minutes.
The pain is relieved by analgesics. There is no pain after only fat injections.
Swelling and bruising to the lips and cheeks disappear in 1 to 2 weeks.
Some precautions must be taken to aid healing :
- eating warm or cold soft food for 8 days ;
- avoiding spicy, hot and acidic foods (orange juice, lemon, ...) ;
- maintaining good oral hygiene (brushing, mouthwash) ;
- completely banning tobacco and alcohol until complete healing (about 2 weeks).
Risk of complications
As with any surgery, a number of complications can occur. But the likelihood of these complications is reduced in the hands of a qualified plastic surgeon and in the presence of a competent anesthetist. The patient’s compliance to instructions given by the surgeon is also essential and include :
- stopping smoking 1 month before and after the procedure (reduction of all risks) ;
- not taking aspirin for 10 days before and after the procedure (reduced risk of hematoma).
Fortunately, postoperative effects are generally manageable following a genioplasty that has been carried out properly, so serious complications are rare.
In spite of the fact that complications are so rare you must be aware of the following problems :
- A haematoma : this can be drained without sequelae.
- Infection : this is extremely rare when the procedure is carried out in sterile environment.
- Delay of healing process of a scar located in the mouth.
In case of a complications, your surgeon will treat them successfully if necessary.
In practice, the vast majority of cases take place without any problem and the patients are satisfied with the result.
Principle of the medical genioplasty procedure :
The volume of the chin can be increased simply by injections of hyaluronic acid performed in the surgeon's office without anesthesia and without pain.
These injections must be repeated every 12 months to maintain the aesthetic result.
Health insurance coverage
As this procedure is considered purely for aesthetic purposes, no coverage is provided by health insurance.
Author: Dr. Christophe Laveaux
Specialist in aesthetic surgery - Antibes
Reproductions, even partial, of the texts are allowed on the express condition cite the author (Dr. Christophe Laveaux) with a direct link to the article mentioned.