Facial cosmetic surgery
Cosmetic nose surgery / rhinoplasty
Cosmetic nose surgery or rhinoplasty aims to modify the morphology of the nose so to improve the symmetry of the profile
The time when all remodeled noses look the same has passed. The result of a rhinoplasty should be natural and adapted to the face as a whole.
Principle of the procedure
The surgeon changes the infrastructure of the bone and cartilage of the nose through the hidden incisions inside the nostrils. The skin will be moulded to the new shape of the nose.
Sometimes additional incisions are needed to change the shape of the nostrils or the tip of the nose.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia. The duration varies between 1 and 2 hours.
Hospitalisation is 12 to 24 hours.
- chin surgery may be proposed to improve the profile as a whole ;
- in general, any aesthetic procedure of the face may be performed, either during the same operation, or as a separate procedure (cervical-facial lifting, eyelid surgery, ...).
When the surgery is complete, a cast is applied. It is removed after 10 days. Gauze packing is not routine. If used, this packing will be removed after 1 to 5 days.
Pain, if any, is easily relieved by simple analgesics.
Discomfort to breathe through the nose is normal during the first days.
Swelling and bruising around the eyes occurs and will disappear in 1-2 weeks.
The patient may resume a normal social and professional life 10-20 days after the operation. Contact sports can only be resumed after 3 months.
Risk of complications
As with any surgery, a number of complications can occur. But the likelihood of these complications is reduced in the hands of a qualified plastic surgeon and in the presence of a competent anesthetist. The patient’s compliance to instructions given by the surgeon is also essential and include :
- stopping smoking 1 month before and after the procedure (reduction of all risks) ;
- not taking aspirin for 10 days before and after the procedure (reduced risk of hematoma).
Fortunately, postoperative effects are generally manageable following a rhinoplasty that has been carried out properly, so serious complications are rare.
In spite of the fact that complications are so rare you must be aware of the following problems :
- A hematoma : this must be rapidly drained.
- Infection : this is extremely rare when the procedure is carried out in sterile environment.
- Bleeding during the first hours after surgery (usually moderate).
In case of a complications, your surgeon will treat them successfully if necessary.
In practice, the vast majority of cases take place without any problem and the patients are satisfied with the result.
Health insurance coverage
As this procedure is considered purely for aesthetic purposes, no coverage is provided by health insurance.
Author: Dr. Christophe Laveaux
Specialist in aesthetic surgery - Antibes
Reproductions, even partial, of the texts are allowed on the express condition cite the author (Dr. Christophe Laveaux) with a direct link to the article mentioned.